Jan 4, 2010

What we've been up to this Chrismtas season...

Gracie had her 1st grade Kookaburra Christmas concert. She is wearing the koala head thingy majigger. Totally annoying in my opinion...you couldn't even see her face because it was covering it. But she sang her little heart out and did a wonderful job especially on her solo speaking part!


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Parker had his preschool Christmas concert too. We loved watching Parker because he knew the songs so well and sang so good! He looked like a cute little reindeer.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In Gracie's class they wrote letter's to Santa. Here is a quote from her letter: "Hi Santa, I have a baby it's name is Chase and if your elves have time can your elves make a baby toy? I know you have a lot to do and it is okay if you don't have time. Love, Gracie". What a little sweetie!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This year Gracie asked Santa for Zhu Zhu Pets, a candy jewel maker, and an ice cream play-doh set. Parker asked for a Nintendo DS, Hot Wheels Battle Force 5, and Iceman.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Our ward had a Christmas lunch / "Variety Show" party and the second Gracie heard them announce it in church she was determined to perform in it. This is all new for us because Gracie has been too shy in the past to do things like this, but it seems like ever since she got up in primary and gave her talk, she's really been excited to try new things and "perform." So I asked Gracie what talent she had in mind to perform for the Variety Show and she was certain she wanted to jump rope. We were shocked she wanted to do this. So that was the plan. So we were at the ward party and no kidding, I was so stinkin' nervous for her! She was just excited to do it, but I had all the anxiety! Probably because I would never dare to get up in front of a crowd and perform a talent. As luck would have it, she ended up being the last act. Can I just tell you how proud I am of this amazing little girl?! She did so awesome at jump roping. She was so brave and the crowd was cheering her on! Gracie, you inspire me! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SNOW! SNOW! AND MORE SNOW!
Over Christmas we had quite the blizzard. I have never seen so much snow in my life! There are enormous drifts everywhere because of the wind. We probably had 2 feet + of snow in our driveway. Of course all we have is a shovel and if Phil had to shovel that all on his own he probably would have been out there for 4 hours. Well we looked out our window and saw several neighbors outside snow blowing there driveways and walks. So Phil had a brilliant idea to hurry and go out and start shoveling ours so that he could get some "sympathy votes" in hopes that the neighbors would bring their snow blowers over to help him. I bet he wasn't out there for 2 minutes before 3 men came over with their blowers and went to work. We are so blessed to have such great neighbors.
The kids have loved playing out in the snow and have no problem being out there for hours and getting freezing cold and soaking wet. Phil went out and built them a snow fort, but all it took was one more snow storm and it was buried. Speaking of buried, the snow was so deep that the neighbors car was completely buried. (You can see it 3 pictures below, behind Phil and his shovel. It even got worse with another whole day of snowing before they unburied it.)


Gracie, Parker's best friend Wes, and Parker

Oscar loves to go out and play in the snow with the kids. I swear he thinks he is human because he is right by their side bouncing all through the snow and following them wherever they go. However, he becomes a snowball himself and we have to bathe him afterward to melt all the little snowballs off his fur. Joy!

If I didn't know better, I'd swear Oscar is glaring at me! He gets that look from Phil! Haha!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here are the kids helping me make chocolate covered pretzel sticks for their teachers and our friends and neighbors. Of course they had to make some for themselves to eat too!


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It had to happen sometime. We have never had a major catastrophe with the kids yet and really this was only a mini one, but never the less it was one. I was mopping the kitchen floor so I had all of the kitchen chairs in the family room. Parker decided to get on them and walk from one to the next. Well he fell and first hit his chin on one of the backs of the chairs and then hit the back of his head on another. I ran and hugged him to comfort him not knowing the damage. But then I looked at Gracie's face and realized there must be blood. He split the back of his head open and it was bleeding down his head. I thought I had a tough stomach for these kinds of things, but quickly found out that was a thing of the past. As I was trying to clean it up I totally got light headed and thought I was going to throw up and pass out. I had to hurry and run to my bathroom and sit by the toilet for a minute thinking I was going to throw up. I took a few deep breaths and ran back to care for Parker. I know the picture doesn't do it justice, but when I'd open it up to see how deep it was I could see flesh and ugh! So anyway, I told Phil about it and he ran all over town after work looking for liquid stitches because I wasn't sure it was quite bad enough to take him to the doctor. He couldn't find any, so we shaved Parker's head and applied a butterfly bandage. Phil ended up using super glue on his head to get it to stick good. I was so against doing that, but what do I know, right?! I think had we taken him in they'd given him a stitch or two, but it's healed up pretty good for now so I think Phil did okay. Parker was surprisingly tough about it. He was actually more concerned about having a bald spot on the back of his head.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think every little boy has a scar on his head somewhere...He is a brave little boy. When it's your child that gets hurt it's funny how you do get light headed...even now that I'm a grandma still can't handle it.

Christina said...

Oh poor little guy! I am glad it was something simple, but at the same time it scares you to death until you know for sure. That snow is unbelievable. Ok so after reading all of your posts I just want to get in our van and drive to South Dakota to hang out. It just seems like forever since we have seen you guys. We really miss you guys!! When we are all done, we should plan a family vacation together to catch up and just have fun. we are thinking about going to Disney World sometime in the next 2 years...interested? :)