May 24, 2010

It's About Time

Well, truth be known I don't exactly have a green thumb.  Ever since I was a little girl I have hated working in the yard and never wanted anything to do with gardening or yard work period.  I always opted to clean the house instead.  Reason being, I am terrified of snakes.  Our house in West Weber had TONS of snakes.  I remember one time in particular I was weeding in a flower bed next to our house and a snake popped its head out right next to my hand.  I think that was the defining moment that I through in my gardening gloves.  :) 

I've been thinking over the years that I really should try and put that fear (of working in the yard and seeing a snake) behind me because I understand it's preventing me from really enjoying the serenity of planting flowers and plants and seeing and appreciating the beauty that results.  So I FINALLY decided to plant some flowers.  All of us headed to Home Depot after the kids' soccer games a couple weeks ago and I picked me out some pots and flowers.  Ummmm...expensive!  I couldn't believe how much it was for just a few flower pots on my porch.  But I took the plunge and went for it anyway.  Phil (I might add was so nice and supportive) kept saying this was my thing and it was all up to me.  (Phil definitely has more of a green thumb than I do...if only he had more time...)  So I came home and planted some marigolds and petunias.  I LOVED it!  I felt such a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.  As I write this, I am fully aware that some of you must be thinking how crazy it is that I have never done this before.  I don't blame you! :)  I love going out and looking at them knowing that I did it myself. :)  Now, just keep your fingers crossed they live!  Oh maybe I should also note that a couple days later I even got ambitious enough to mow and trim the lawn.  I was driven by my desire to NOT look like white trash any longer.  :)  Poor Phil, he's been so busy with work, being on call, and studying for boards.  His little spare time is spent with the kids.  As well it should!  :)

No comments: