May 3, 2010

Bunch Ball {Soccer}

So we have officially started the soccer madness!  The time has come where we are running kids here and there and having to be in two places at once.  It's been a lot of fun though entering this stage.  A lot of Gracie and Parker's games and practices end up overlapping and so Phil goes in one direction and I in the other.  Phil is Parker's assistant coach and I think Parker really enjoys that.  Gracie's team is called the Beetles and Parker's team is the Cheetahs.  When I first told the kids that, Parker said to Gracie, "Gracie, cheetahs EAT beetles!"  Haha!  At the first game I told the kids that if they score a goal we'd take them to Dairy Queen to get a Blizzard (in hopes that would help them to be more aggressive).  So every game they give it their all!  {I mean who wouldn't for a Blizzard?!}  Both of the kids have surprised us by their performances.  Gracie runs her guts out.  She is chasing that ball constantly and she even gets some really good kicks in!  She's not afraid of getting in there and fighting for the ball.  Parker is quite hilarious.  He's comfortable just hanging on the outskirts (spinning around, jumping up and down, celebrating, karate kicking the air, smiling at me, enjoying the fresh air) and then going for the ball when he's good and ready.  And boy can he kick that ball far!  But his strategy must work because he's scored 7 goals in 4 games so far!  Fortunately for the rest of us, we get to eat a Blizzard too! :)  When Parker is out on the field he's constantly blowing me kisses and giving me a thumbs up every time he kicks the ball.  I am constantly shouting to him to keep his eye on the ball.  Cracks me up!  I love it!  I'll take those blown kisses for as long as I can get 'em!  In Gracie's defense (as to why she hasn't scored yet perhaps), her fields are much larger and more kids are playing on the field than Parker's.  She actually kicked the ball all the way down the field toward her goal and just as she was getting ready to kick it in and score, another girl on her team came up and kicked it from her and scored, thus stealing her glory!  :)  She wasn't happy about it.  :)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Nice to see them on the field! We've spent the last two weeks on the sideline, with Abbey hiding between my legs saying "I'm too shy, I'm too shy." I'm so sure.