Feb 18, 2010

Gracie-ceta!


2-17-10
I was reading the kids books tonight before bed and Oscar (our dog) came up and cuddled with us while we were reading. Afterward, I said, "Okay, let's have prayer." Then I started talking to Oscar asking him if he wanted to have prayer with us.

Gracie chuckled and said, "Mom, you're talking to him like you do Chase. Do you love Oscar now?"

Haha! Okay, truth be told, I haven't always been an Oscar fan. So I tell Gracie, "Yes, Gracie I love Oscar now. I used to really not like him and I didn't like the way that made me feel. So I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to help me love Oscar more. And you know what? I had a change of heart. My heart warmed and I love Oscar now."

So I look at Gracie (the dog lover) and her eyes are filled with water {seriously!}. She manages a smile and says, "Mom, stop. You are going to make me cry."

Oh my goodness how sweet. She is so tender hearted!



***
Gracie's class in school has started a notebook journal where she writes a letter to me or Phil at the end of each week telling of 3 things she did during the week and then asking whomever she is writing to a question. Then we are supposed to write a letter in the journal back to her including an answer to her question. Well at parent teacher conferences last week her teacher shows me the notebook and I see SEVERAL red marks all over mine and Phil's letters. Gracie had gone through them and corrected our mistakes. This was not actually an assignment, just something she took upon herself to do! Haha! I laughed so hard! She told her teacher that I did not write my capital 'I's' right and that I wrote "Mom" with 2 capital 'M's" instead of just the first one. On Phil's letter he would write random capital letters in the middle of words in lower case and she underlined all of those errors plus some other legit mistakes. My jaw literally dropped to the ground that our little 1st grader was correcting our letters....AND she was right!
***
We read lots of books around our house and lately while I've been reading to the kids Gracie corrects me if I miss a word or say a word wrong. She seriously follows each word I read and once again, legitimately corrects me! She is fast!
***
At parent teacher conferences her teacher could not say enough good things about her. She said Gracie makes her job easy. Gracie is reading at a 3rd grade level in fiction and nonfiction! The best part to me though, is not that she is so smart, but that she loves it! She truly enjoys reading and I just love that!
***
I mentioned a while back that Gracie's teacher wanted her tested for the "gifted and talented" academic class next year. Over the past several weeks they tested her during school and even on one Saturday. We got the results back and she has been accepted! This class is combined with 2nd and 3rd graders and moves at an accelerated rate. They'll do a lot more hands on experiments using knowledge and creativity. It is designed for each child to move at their own pace. So when a concept is grasped then they can move on instead of waiting for the rest of the class to grasp it as well. We are so proud of Gracie!!!
***
Gracie went to her friends birthday party the other day at the Ramada Inn. They have a big indoor pool park with a big winding slide and a big pirate ship. Gracie was afraid to go on the slide so Phil told her he'd give her $5.00 and a meal at McDonald's and that he'd even walk her up to the top if she went down. Gracie accepted the offer and went down the slide several times in fact and loved it. So Gracie tells Phil, "Dad, I've gone down the slide lots of times so I think you should give me $10.00." Haha! Phil was like nice try! Later Gracie says, "Well Dad, you didn't walk me to the top of the slide and that was part of the deal so I think you should give me $6.00." OH KIDS!!!
***
The other day Parker and I were having a discussion about something not good that he was doing. Gracie was listening in and she said to Parker, "Parker, let me give you some advice...." I can't remember what the advice was, but seriously, a six year old giving a 5 year old advice! I love it!

No comments: