Jul 20, 2009

A mothers wisdom...

This morning I asked Gracie to pick up a few things she had out in her room. She reacted by complaining, huffing and puffing, saying no body ever helps me pick up, and so on and so on.

So I said to her that I know how we can solve this problem. I told her I could take away all her toys and then she'd never have to worry about picking anything up. Then she told me that she'd have to complain because there would be nothing to play with.

Well, I took some time this morning to read some uplifting stories and thoughts...and this is what I came across.

"What you are supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain."

I decided to share this wisdom with Gracie...here's how it went...

Me: "Gracie, what you should do when you don't like something is change it, and if you can't change it, then change the way you think about it. But don't complain."

Gracie: (scrunched up face, shaking her head, clearly showing she had no clue what I had just said, turns around and walks the other way, and says with attitude...) "That makes no sense."

Well, she didn't understand my wisdom (or someone else's)....yet....BUT at least my frustration turned into a good laugh.

4 comments:

jackie holgate said...

This Grandma is laughing her head off with tears rolling down her cheeks.... Mandi, you are just to deep, she's only six!!!!!!

Unknown said...

hello mandy and phil, i just read the email and didn't know you were pregnant, congratulations!! i love the names Kooper and Konner the names of my grandbaby's. love your blog. love the stories. good luck with the new baby when he gets here. i guess i better read your blogs more carefully from now on.miss you guys!love jenny

Sarah said...

Hey, that's a great thought! New words to live by.

jen said...

It has been so long since I have visited your blog, and I laughed so hard at all the past posts! You guys are so cute and fun. I miss you lots!