May 4, 2009

California Adventures!

We finally took our first family trip that wasn't to Utah to go see family! Dennis and John joined us for all the fun! We drove to Anaheim and went to Disneyland for 2 days and then we drove to San Diego and went to Sea World for 2 days and to the beach. We had a blast!

The second we got to Disneyland, Dennis and John went and bought the kids signature books and pens for all the characters to sign. I had no idea that was the "thing" to do! So for two days we were on a hunt for the characters. The biggest mission was to get the princesses signatures. So we found the line and asked the worker how long the wait was from where we were in line and she said 2 hours! I about died! So John and I tagged teamed in line giving each other a break every 15 minutes while Phil, Gracie, Parker, and Dennis went on some rides. Hmmmm.....does that sound fair to anyone?! :) So once you finally get to where the princesses are, which is behind a wall and you can't see them until you are allowed to go back, you have no clue which princesses you get to see. They have 3 princesses at a time, but the Heavens shined down on us and we got there just as the princesses were switching, so we were able to get signatures and pictures of the ones that were already there and the ones that just came to switch. So we ended up getting to see 4 princesses and 1 prince! It blows me away that we pay hundreds of dollars to go to Disneyland then spend hours in lines to get a stinkin' signature from a person in a costume! :) The things we do for our kids! But honestly, after seeing how much Gracie loved seeing those princesses and how much it meant to her, it made the wait all worth it!

One of the biggest highlights of the trip was when Parker got to participate in the Star Wars Jedi training. Parker is obsessed with Star Wars! There were probably a hundred kids watching the show and jumping up and down with their hands in the air to get picked to come up on stage, train with a light saber and Jedi Master, and then fight Darth Vader. As the Jedi trainers came past us picking the kids out of the audience, they just kept on walking by and skipped past Parker. So Phil, Dennis and I started screaming like crazy parents, shouting, "Over here! Over here! Pick him! Pick him!" At the same time, we were shouting at Parker making him jump up and down, wave his hands and yell pick me, pick me! To our disbelief, the "Jedi" came back our way and said the most magical words we've ever heard, "You in the blue, come on up!" Now this might sound corny, but who cares, I'm a mom! As we gave Parker an encouraging shove up to the stage, chills came over my body and tears filled the corners of my eyes. Our little boy was just about to have his dream come true! Parker isn't always the bravest kid on the block, but I'm telling you when this kid gets a light saber, gun, or sword in his hand, it's as if all fear is gone and he is the most courageous super hero! Parker got to stand right next to the Jedi Master on the stage and learn some pretty fancy moves with his light saber. He then fought and defeated Darth Vader!

Some other highlights of Disneyland were the rides Buzz Lightyear, Teacups, Peter Pan, Small World, Star Wars, and the river rafting rides. I loved going on the race car track with the kids. Parker drove Phil and Gracie drove me. Gracie and I were laughing so hard on that ride because her driving was jerking us back and forth that tears were streaming down my face! I think it's best if she waits at least 10 more years to start driving! Gracie, Phil and Dennis went on Splash Mountain, but just as they got to the climb of the last big drop, the ride broke! So they had to get off and climb down stairs inside the mountain to the exit. My personal highlights were the cotton candy and churro, and the relaxing ride in the wheel chair! Haha! :)

Sea World is my favorite place and I was so excited for the kids to experience it! They fell in love with the dolphins and whales! They loved watching the animal show where the dogs, cats, and pig do some fantastic tricks. I think the thing they loved most though was the kids playground. That has to be the biggest playground I've ever seen in my life. They had a blast playing on it! There is a part where water spouts out of the ground and I'm sure Gracie had her eye on it the whole time because as we were getting ready to leave the playground (which was at the beginning of our day), Phil told Gracie to follow him because we were going. Seconds later we realized Gracie didn't follow him, so we went back to find her and she was standing in the water spouts, drenched! There was not one dry spot on her body, from her shoes and socks all the way up to her eyelashes that were dripping with water! I look back now and think it wasn't really a big deal and I probably should have just laughed. But, darn it, I was angry with her! :) I just kept saying, "Well, I guess you'll have to deal with the consequences and stay freezing cold and uncomfortable all day!" It seems though that when one parent stays strong and stubborn, the other one compensates by being patient, protective, and level headed. (At least this is the case for Phil and I.) So it wasn't long before Phil removed her sopping shirt and put her dry jacket on her to get her shivering body warm again.

A couple highlights from Sea World were the shark tunnel, Phil and Parker touching the sting rays and feeding them fish, me touching a dolphin, Gracie touching the starfish, the Shamu Show, the Dolphin Show, and the Sea Lion and Otter Show.

Last but not least, the beach. I think if we would have just stayed at the beach for 6 days, the kids would have been content. They were in heaven! Let me just say that it was freezing cold there! The wind was blowing so hard and it was just plain cold and miserable....for me at least. :) This did not stop the kids, and Phil, from making sand castles, finding sea shells, and running through the waves in the ocean. I finally had to make the kids leave when their lips turned blue and their bodies were shivering in convulsions! After we dried off and changed clothes, we went and played giant frisby on the grass by the beach.

Time spent with family and making memories is hands down the most rewarding blessing in life!



















2 comments:

Brianna said...

We haven't been to Disneyland in some years, but when Nate and I went the Splash Mountain broke down too! We also had to walk off the ride. Maybe Splash Mountain needs a little upgrade.

Amy Mann said...

What a fun trip! I am with you on doing crazy things for you kids, I love to see Trevor get excited about things, it makes everything worth it. What fun memories you will have with your cute family.