Feb 13, 2009

Gracie's Valentine's Party

Today I got to go volunteer and help with Gracie's Valentine's party. It was so much fun! I am lucky enough to be able to help out once a month in her classroom and on holiday parties too. I love going and watching Gracie in her classroom setting. I'm sure I grin from ear to ear the entire time I'm there!

Gracie has been dealing with this girl in her class that threatens her that she won't be her friend or with other things if Gracie doesn't do what she says. So I talked to Gracie about some ideas of things she could say when this girl does it to her. Keep in mind that Gracie is too sweet to stand up for herself quite often. She'll just do what people say so she doesn't have to hurt someone's feelings. While it's great that she's so sweet, it also troubles me because I want Gracie to have the confidence to stand up for herself. So today while I was with her at her party, this little girl told Gracie she wanted to switch suckers with her because she didn't like her flavor. Gracie didn't want to so she told her no thanks. So then this girl says to Gracie that she'll scribble all over her Valentine's card if she doesn't switch suckers. So Gracie told her, "Go ahead, scribble on it. I don't care. I'll just take it home, tear it up and throw it in the garbage." I wasn't right there when it happened so Gracie ran up to me and jumped for me to pick her up. Then she wrapped her legs and arms around me as tight as she could and told me what just happened. She was so proud of herself and I was so proud of her! We took a moment for a quiet little celebration together! :) I am so glad that she was able to feel how good it feels to stand up for herself!


This first picture is Gracie with her teacher Mrs. Weinerth. She's the best kindergarten teacher in the world! Gracie loves her so much! Unfortunately the picture is blurry. The other pictures are of the party. It was crazy hair day at school so that's why some of the kids' hair looks a bit interesting. The last picture is Gracie jump roping for the "Jump for the Heart" fundraiser the school did for kids with heart problems.





2 comments:

Brianna said...

Girls can be sooo mean and it only gets worse, so I think it's great she's learning to stick up for her self. Nobody wants to be a door mat!

Christina said...

Good for Gracie. She is such a sweetheart!