Sep 14, 2008

Boyfriend, WHAT?!

One day this week after I picked Gracie up from school we had this conversation in the car on the way home:

Gracie: (giddy) I have a boyfriend.
Me: (hesitant) Oh really? What's his name?
Gracie: (giddier) Nathan. He's sooooo cute! He's sooooo cute! I want to kiss him! I want to kiss him. I do, I want to kiss him!
Me: (chest pounding) Why would you want to kiss him?!
Gracie: (even giddier and giggling) Because he's soooooo cute!
Me: (anxiety on the climb, trying to remain calm) Okay, but that doesn't mean you need to kiss him.
Gracie: (yep, giddier, still giggling) I know, but I want to kiss him!
Me: What will kissing him do?!
Gracie: I don't know, I just want to kiss him!
Me: (deep breath, heart beating faster) Gracie, the only boys you kiss is your dad and your little brother! You don't kiss boys and you don't let them kiss you until you are 18! Okay?!!!!! Remember that number, EIGHTEEN!
Gracie: (with disappointment) Awe, okay.

WHAT THE HECK?! THIS CONVERSATION DID NOT JUST HAPPEN!

Tonight"s conversation at dinner:

Me: Gracie, why don't you tell Dad about Nathan.
Gracie: (Teeny-bopper voice) My boyfriends name is Nathan. I love Nathan. He's soooo cute.
Phil: What does boyfriend mean?
Gracie: When you are my age it's a boy that's a friend. When your yours and mom's age it's your boyfriend, like you date.
Phil: Okay, good....
Gracie: (you guessed it....giddy) I love to play with him. He holds my hand and puts me against the wall and then the teacher blows the whistle.
Phil and Mandi: (Jaws dropped, hearts sunk, WHAT THE?)
Gracie: I hate when she blows the whistle!
Me: Why?
Gracie: Because I want to keep playing with him.
Phil and Mandi: (NUH UH! NO WAY!) (Trying our hardest not to burst out laughing!) Bursted out laughing!
Gracie: (Runs off, giddily embarrassed)
Me: (Chase after her and tackle her) Laughed together.

When we had a moment alone:

Me: Phil, where in the heck do you think she got that?
Phil: I don't know, maybe Disney.
Me: No more Disney!

My thoughts: LOCK DOWN! HOME SCHOOL! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

Jaime Dubois said...

That is just so funny! Who knew that it starts so young? If I didn't know better, I would think she was 16 or something by the way she talks. You guys are in big, big trouble with that girl!!! :)

P.S. It is so fun to view your blog. Thanks for the invite. It seems like forever since we have seen you guys. Maybe at least this way we can keep in touch.

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

Hilarious! (says the parent without a daughter) :) I have to say...I still remember the name of the boy I had a crush on in Kindergarten (and the name of the girl that he liked...I wrote in my journal that I wanted to "be her"). I'd tell you their names, but with my luck one of them reads your blog...then I'd be super embarrassed :) Ha!

hayley said...

Oh boy! She is too funny:) Good luck, that girl is going to have the boys crawling all over her she is so beautiful. 18 sounds like a good kissing age to me:)

Christina said...

LOL...it starts already!!

Brinley walked out of school holding hands with a boy named Mike. He wanted Brinley to meet his mom so he grab her and and said, "lets go meet my mom." We had a talk on the way home and I told her she couldn't hold hands anymore! She then told me that she loves him.

Gage blames Disney.

AmyPoll said...

Disney...Disney...Disney...Julianna is on a kissing kick right now as well...it is her favorite part of the show. She even tried to kiss her daddy like the movies (a long kiss and moving her head from side to side) We calmly (and amazingly without laughing) told her that we don't kiss that way. She also chases the boys and tries to kiss them...AAAHHH...what is it with kissing and little girls??? I wish I had some advice, but I am new to this thing.

valerie said...

This is cute!! Luckly Erin hasn't hit this point yet. I think it's because she has 3 brothers at home and is sick of being with all boys and just wants to play with girls at school. Sounds like you've got your hands full. Gracie is just so cute it's not a surprise boys like her already!!!

jen said...

All Travis could say is, "You realize that Anna is a girl. This will be us in a few short years!" Thanks preparing us in advance! I can just hear Gracie chattering away about this! :)

travdean said...

I hate to think of the idea of my daughter with boys. This is hilarious, especially because it is your daughter and not mine. You have to love the innocence of children though.

Brianna said...

I'm not ready for that, and I have two of them! Double Trouble!