Nov 3, 2010

Gracie's new pets!

Gracie's class at school had several crayfish that were considered their class pets.  I guess after a while the teacher got sick of cleaning their water out so she offered them to the kids in the class to take home.  Gracie came home begging me to let her have some.  Initially I gave a firm "NO," but after a day of much thought, I was considering it.  My reasoning--I know the kids are going to want more pets in their lifetime than just Oscar.  I figured it wouldn't be fair to say no to all of their requests seeing as how that's just part of childhood (so I believe).  I know I never want to have hamsters or any such rodents, nor do I want a cat.  SO crayfish it was!  (You know, the lesser of several evils. :)  )  I talked to Phil and he was on board as well.  Actually he pushed my wavering maybe over to the yes side.  So I went to the school and picked up two creepy crawly crayfish.   Phil and I thought we could keep them for a couple of days and then convince Gracie to set them free...for a better life...of course.  :)  She wouldn't let them go, so we kept them for a couple weeks at which point we tried once again to convince her they'd be happier in a more suitable habitat.  Through the two weeks, I of course, was the "zoo keeper" fulfilling all the duties of being a good crayfish owner / mommy.  Was there ever any doubt I'd be the one taking care of them--changing their nasty water and feeding them?!  Well Gracie, with the tender heart she has realized they'd probably be more happy in the wild (a.k.a. swampy ditch canal place a block away).  So we did it!  We set them free!  Not sure if my gut feeling that they wouldn't live through the night in the thick moss and cold temps was with good reason or maybe from the guilt of a mother abandoning her child in such conditions.  Regardless, it isn't much of a life to live in a 7" x 7" plastic container.  Leaving plan B (setting them free) a better option in my opinion.  I guess it was ?fun? while it lasted!



No comments: