Sep 2, 2010

The Cubs

I signed both Gracie and Parker up for baseball this summer assuming that the league separates the girls and boys into their own leagues of which they play against the same gender.  (This is how the soccer league works here anyway.)  So we get to the first practice and realize that Gracie is the only girl on her team AND in the league.  Apparently girls play softball and boys play baseball!  Haha!  Who knew?!  I don't know why that didn't click for me in the first place.  The bad thing is that all the softball leagues were earlier in the summer when we were in Utah.  So we gave Gracie the choice of whether she wanted to go ahead and play with the boys or not.  She was too nervous and embarrassed and chose not to play.  I felt SO bad!  But like always Gracie didn't dwell on it and was fine with waiting and getting to play next summer.
Parker is in the age group that plays T-ball.  He loved it!  He had so much fun, especially having his dad out there with him helping coach.  He was on the "Cubs" team which is awesome because the Chicago Cubs is Phil's favorite baseball team and has been since he was little.  I was amazed at how much Parker improved on his skills from the beginning to the end.  He went from not catching great to making some really great catches, running slow to running fast, and not having much confidence to feeling pretty confident.  It was so much fun to watch as all the boys would run to the ball after it was hit no matter where the ball was or where they were on the field.  
Gracie hung out with me and helped with Chase, as well as making friends with a few of the baseball players her own age and hanging out with them.  Each game I'd have Gracie take Chase for a walk in his car to entertain him for a bit and every time I turned around to check on them, some boy would be pushing Chase and Gracie would be walking next to them.  I don't know how she did it, but she'd get these boys to do her "dirty work" for her!  :)  I kept watching and thinking, "Oh my, I'm going to have my hands full when she's a teenager!"






No comments: